By Sally Mercedes | 04/11/2012 - 12:28
Miami Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen is in some serious hot water right now for his recent comments about none other than Fidel Castro. In an article for Time magazine, Guillen was quoted as saying:
"I respect Fidel Castro. You know why? A lot of people have wanted to kill Fidel Castro for the last 60 years, but that son of a bitch is still there."
By Sally Mercedes | 04/04/2012 - 16:35
MLB Opening Day is this week and we're eager to celebrate the start of the season! Though the exact date varies (is it April 5? April 6? maybe tonight? who knows?!), most teams are playing their first game sometime this week. Specifics aside, we are excited to see our favorite Latino baseball players step onto the field.
By Sally Mercedes | 04/02/2012 - 15:14
As most teams prepare for their Opening Day games, Dominican pitcher Ubaldo Jiménez is getting a lot of attention today, but it's probably not the kind he wants. Instead of talking about his potential for the season, the headlines are for a fastball pitch Jiménez threw to former teammate Troy Tulowitzki.
By Sally Mercedes | 03/13/2012 - 12:48
Roberto Hernandez is one step closer to getting his spot back as pitcher for the Cleveland Indians. Formerly known as Fausto Carmona, he was arrested in Dominican Republic under false identity charges, which put him on MLB's restricted list. Now he has accepted a deal to have the charges dropped if he completes a work program in D.R.
By Sally Mercedes | 03/09/2012 - 16:25
- Rafael Furcal is staying with the St. Louis Cardinals for at least another two years and $14 million. The Dominican shortstop has been with the team since 2011, getting a championship ring when they won the World Series this past fall. Assuming his health doesn't get in the way, the Cards are confident that keeping him around will bring stability to the team. (Fox News Latino)
By Sally Mercedes | 03/07/2012 - 12:07
- Spring training is in full swing as more and more players are stepping out onto the field for the first time since last season. Yesterday, New York Mets pitcher Johan Santana got off to an impressive start with two shutout innings against the St. Louis Cardinals. It was all anybody could talk about last night as the Mets had their first pre-season win. Let's hope things pick up for them!
By Sally Mercedes | 03/05/2012 - 15:42
- Alex Rodriguez is acting like a brand new man! It's only spring training, but he's looking to start the season off right. In an uncharacteristic move, he addressed his teammates with inspiring and unifying words before their first game of the pre-season. While nobody's saying much about the details of the speech, they all seem impressed with A-Rod's encouraging words.
By Sally Mercedes | 03/02/2012 - 14:49
It's a good day for catcher Yadier Molina, who accepted a 5-year deal with the St. Louis Cardinals for $75 million. The deal keeps him on the team through 2017, and he has a chance to get even more out of it with a mutual, $15 million option for 2018. This is also good news for the Cardinals, who recently lost Albert Pujols to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
By Sally Mercedes | 03/01/2012 - 14:40
- As we reported last week, the marketing campaign behind one of the newest members of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, Albert Pujols, used the term "El Hombre" to promote him. Pujols expressed his discomfort with the ads because the nickname is already used for St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Famer Stan Musial.
By Sugey Palomares | 02/27/2012 - 14:14
- Manny Ramirez is hitting the field and getting his A-game back on track for the Oakland Athletics. The Dominican outfielder, 39, who most recently retired from the Tampa Bay Rays last season, got back on the field for batting practice over the weekend. The professional baseball player hit seven home runs during his training with the A's coach Mike Gallego.