Berry and burgundy shades continue to rule in 2014 as was apparent on the red carpet at the 71st Annual Golden Globe Awards. Stars have embraced the bold color on everything from their gowns, lips, and nails. Since the Golden Globes are a far more formal event than last week’s People’s Choice Awards, women were almost at a 50/50 split when it came down to choosing between a dramatic cat eye with a strong lip or a smoky eye with nude lips, according to celebrity makeup artist Jackie Gomez. She noted, “Most of the women whose gowns were bigger and more extravagant kept their makeup more demure--- with the exception of Sofia Vergara.“
The Modern Family star may have missed out on an award, but she most definitely took home the honor of being best dressed of the night. She surprised me twice: first by retiring her trademark mermaid gown and for opting to keep the focus on her lips. The berry shade of lipstick she used worked great with her turquoise Lorraine Schwartz necklace and voluminous Zac Posen gown.
Here’s what she had to say about what inspired her, “For this year's Golden Globes, I really wanted to do something different. I wear makeup every day - I wouldn't think about leaving the house without it! - but of course it's such a big night, and everyone is taking pictures, so I have to look good! With my dress so elegant and my necklace so bold (and heavy!), I wanted to keep my hair and makeup simple and classic.”
Honorable mentions go to Brazilian beauty Camila Alves who kept her makeup simple so as not to detract from the sparkle omitted by her stunning sequined Dolce and Gabbana gown. “Camila looked classic,” Jackie said. “She kept her smoky eye natural and the nude shade of lipstick she used was perfect.”
Honorable mentions for top-notch makeup looks at the Golden Globes include: Zoe Saldana, Uma Thurman, and Maria Menounos.
Do you want to rock Sofia’s bombshell look? All you need is six of COVERGIRL’s hottest new products and these directions from Sofia herself:
1. To start off with a good base that would last all night, I started with COVERGIRL truBLEND Foundation in M6, which is super lightweight and blendable.
2. On top, a light dusting of powder to set the look and a bit of rosy color for the apples of my cheeks with Clean Glow Blush in Roses.
3. My dress and jewels were the center of attention, so I had to balance my hair and makeup. For me, a really glamorous evening look starts with the eyes. I love the drama of a cat eye - tonight I went with brown liner as opposed to black with Bombshell Liner in Chocolate Kiss to create the look.
4. I then used Bombshell Shine Shadow in Gold Goddess to give my eyes a little sparkle.
5. As always, I LOVE big lashes so I used Bombshell Volume Mascara on my top and bottom lashes to add volume and intensity. (aka#bombshelling)
6. For me, lipstick is a must - I feel naked without it. I wish I could just wear a nude shade, but it's not me - I need color. I went with a bold red with LipPerfection Lip Color in Flame.
7. Oh I also always keep a gloss in my purse for touch-ups!