Move out of the way smoky eyes, it looks like you’ve been permanently replaced by the dramatic cat eye and bold lip combo! Ok, I might be exaggerating a bit but if you followed the hottest beauty trends from the People’s Choice Awards red carpet, this was the place to be to see the hottest shades of red of 2014. There is nothing I like more than showing off confidence with a bold shade of lipstick.
Even though sunny Los Angeles, California is not experiencing a winter wonderland, many of the hottest looks were inspired by fall/winter. Host Kat Dennings, Jennifer Hudson, Sara Bareilles Rocsi Diaz, and Adelaide Kane rocked various shades of red including berry, burgundy, and everything in between.
The look of the night however belonged to COVERGIRL Queen Latifah, whose very berry lip color I need in my cosmetics bag right now. Want to duplicate this look right now? We got the scoop from celebrity makeup artist and COVERGIRL ambassador Sam Fine, so that you can get this easy breezy look from the comfort of your own home.
“Most often the clothes dictate the look; however, once Tim Snell (Latifah’s longtime fashion stylist) revealed his version of the LBD, Latifah immediately requested a simple eye, glowing skin, and a striking lip instead of our favorite smoky eye/pale lip combination,” Fine said. “So, when the Queen makes a request… I aim to please!”
Face: Every look begins with great skin - beautiful coverage and a gorgeous glow!
1. I always begin using truBLEND Fixstick concealer one shade lighter than her complexion.
2. It’s perfect to highlight the under eye area, the bridge of the nose and chin (areas where the light naturally hits the face).
3. After, I use a synthetic foundation brush to gently apply truBLEND Liquid Makeup to unify varied tones.
4. I used Queen Collection Lasting Matte Pressed Powder to set underneath the eyes and the center of the face, then applied my favorite bronzer, Queen Collection Natural Hue Bronzer, near the outer perimeter of the face for glowing results.
5. Tip: I often use two shades of bronzer – one that matches her skin tone, which takes the place of blush, and a deeper shade – to contour and warm her complexion.
· Eyes: A simple, clean eye doesn’t mean that I don’t use eye shadow; it means I used natural looking shades to enhance the shape of her almond eyes.
1. Using a large brush, I swept the eye with Queen Collection Eyeshadow Pot in Dazzle (Q185) to add warmth, richness and a touch of shimmer to the eye area.
2. Then, I applied Vivid Impact Eyeliner in Midnight (300) closest to the lashline, extending it at the outer corner to lift the eye.
3. Lastly, I applied individual lashes and few coats of Bombshell Volume Mascara in Very Black (800) for volume and intensity. (#bombshelling)
· Lips: Now, the fun part… a dramatic lip!
1. I always begin with liner to shape the lip and insure a long – lasting finish throughout the night.
2. I applied LipPerfection Lipliner in Beloved (225).
3. Using a lip brush for added precision, I applied Queen Collection Lip Color in Burgendelicious (Q410) for an effortless, yet glamorous finish!
COVERGIRL products are available at mass market retailers nationwide.