Chef Maria Loi at Loi restaurant in NYC will blow you away with her native Greek cuisine, but its her delicious Greek yogurt that'll keep you coming back. The day we ate at her restaurant, she packed some of her signature appetizer up for us and we savoured every last bite until it was gone.
With Greek yogurt's amazing health benefits, we're glad to see its made its way from trendy new food to part of our everyday diets - and whether you take it plain, with honey or with fruit, we bet you've never had it the way Maria has created it exclusively for Latina. We asked the Queen of Greek yogurt to make a Latin-inspired version and what she came up with utilizes avocado, cilantro and jalapeno for a smooth & creamy yogurt (or dip) that finishes with a kick of spice. Check out the exclusive recipe below!
- 1 lb strained Greek yogurt
- 1 cucumber
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 tbsp Greek olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large avocado, pitted
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cilantro sprigs, chopped
- 3 mint springs, chopped
- Salt, to taste, as needed
- Peel the cucumber and grate it on the largest holes of a box grater into a strainer or colander.
- Sprinkle the grated cucumber with salt (to help extract some of the excess moisture), cover the strainer with plastic, and allow the cucumbers to drain overnight. Place a container under the draining cucumbers to catch the excess liquid, but be careful to allow for some space between the colander and the container, so that the cucumbers actually drain. (Note: Placing some weight on top of the draining cucumbers will help the process along.)
- The next day, place drained cucumbers in a bowl, add your Greek yogurt and mix well. Peel the garlic, and using a microplaner, grate into the same bowl. Next, add the Greek olive oil and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Then, add your avocado to a blender, and blend until smooth. Fold your avocado into the bowl with your Greek yogurt mixture. Finally, fold in the diced red onion and jalepeño into your avocado/yogurt mixture, and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Cover the dip with plastic; allow it to chill in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- After it has chilled, add the mint and cilantro, mix to combine, stir, serve and enjoy!