1. Who was the first Latino to win in an acting category?
A: Edward James Olmos
B. José Ferrer
C. Ricardo Montalban
2. Who is the only actor to win an Oscar for a predominantly Spanish-speaking role?
A: Antonio Banderas
B. Raúl Juliá
C. Benicio del Toro
C: Boricua Benicio del Toro was justly rewarded for his remarkable turn as a conflicted Mexican police officer in 2000’s Traffic, a role performed almost entirely in Spanish.
3. Who was the only Latino actor to win twice in one category?
A: Anthony Quinn
B. Javier Bardem
C. Benjamin Bratt
A: Anthony Quinn won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for 1952’s Viva Zapata! and 1956’s Lust for Life.
4. Who is the first Latina to win a Best Supporting Actress Oscar?
A: Lupe Ontiveros
B. Rita Moreno
C. Catalina Sandino Moreno
B: Rita Moreno walked away with an Oscar for her iconic performance as Anita in West Side Story in 1961.
5. What was the first Latino-themed film nominated for Best Picture?
A. Kiss of the Spider Woman
B. West Side Story
B: West Side Story, with its focus on warring gangs in New York, was the first film nominated for Best Picture to focus on themes of Latino culture and assimilation.
6. What was the first Spanish-language feature nominated for Best Foreign Language film?
A. La Venganza, 1958
B. Macario, 1960
C. La Tregua, 1974
A: 1958’s La Venganza was written and directed by Juan Antonio Bardem (Javier’s uncle). The director was an outspoken critic of the Franco regime, and his film, originally intended to be a critique of the exploitation of the working class, was heavily censored.
7. What was the first Latin American film to win the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film?
A: La Historia Oficial, 1985
B. Camila, 1984
C. Alsino y el Cóndor, 1982
A: The honor of being the first Best Foreign Language Film winner from Latin America went to the Argentinean drama La Historia Oficial (The Official Story), largely regarded as the best film ever made about the country’s Desaparecidos.
8. Which Latino composer has won more Oscars?
A: Luis “El Puma” Rodriguez
B. Lalo Schifrin
C. Gustavo Santaolalla
C: Argentinean Gustavo Santaolalla won back-to-back Best Score Oscars, for his work on Brokeback Mountain (2005) and Babel (2006).
9. Who was the first mexicana ever nominated for Best Actress?
A: Dolores del Rio
B. Salma Hayek
C. Katy Jurado
B: Salma Hayek earned this distinction for her magnificent turn as Frida Kahlo in the 2002 film Frida, which she also coproduced.
10. What famous Latino actor was (allegedly) the model for the Oscar statuette?
A. Emilio Fernandez
B. Gilbert Roland
C. Ramon Novarro
A: Legend has it that Fernandez was head-over-heels in love with the Mexican movie star Dolores del Rio, but she was already in a relationship with original Academy member Cedric Gibbons. When Gibbons needed a strapping model for the very first golden statuette, del Rio suggested the chiseled Fernandez, who reluctantly agreed because he would basically do anything she asked him to. The rest, as they say, is history!