My mom, a lady who gave birth to five kids and knows a thing or two about pregnancy, once told me that she loved being pregnant. I could certainly understand her love for her unborn children but loving being pregnant?
I didn’t buy it.
“Mom, you looooooved being pregnant?” which was less of a question and more of an accusation that she was obviously lying to me. Really?? Gaining weight, stretch marks, waddling, aches, pains — the very look of pregnancy seemed uncomfortable to me.
And that “pregnancy glow?” Seriously?! That’s just a way to be nice to the super uncomfortable pregnant lady, right?
Well, imagine my surprise when in my second trimester and the vomiting and fatigue subsided -- I entered this pregnancy oasis and couldn’t help but declare “I love being pregnant!” Here are 10 reasons why!
1. My body has super powers! There’s a human being in my belly growing his central nervous system as we speak!
2. The glow exists! People tell me I have “the glow” and I don’t care if they’re saying it just to be nice... I love to hear it!!
3. I can nap anytime I want without guilt or judgment.
4. People are so nice to me, they smile at me everywhere I go! They also open my doors, help me with my luggage, and give up their seats for me.
5. No booze. My skin has never looked better and I haven’t had a wine headache in 6 months!
6. Another serving of dessert? Don’t mind if I do.
7. Seeing my husband Gibby’s nurturing side go into overdrive makes me melt.
8. Maternity jeans — where have you been all my life?
9. I love when people touch my belly. It doesn’t creep me out one bit. The waitress at the sushi restaurant last night even kissed it!
10. And of course, the number one reason I love being pregnant is I’m home to Baby Bean right now. I love his kicks and his hiccups and he loves when I drink orange juice and eat chorizo and egg breakfast tacos. He’s my little teammate and I love that we’re in this together!