The world's horrific events are broadcast for us to see every second of the day. It seems almost impossible to escape videos of police brutality, peaceful protests gone terribly wrong and other atrocities against Black bodies. For Afro-Latinos, and our allies, It can be extremely taxing on our mental health to constantly be exposed to such violence.
In order to keep ourselves healthy, it's important to remember that self-care should be a priority, especially in times like these. Check out some of the ways you can prioritize your mental health now.
1. Turn Off Auto-Play On Your Facebook. The videos that our friends are sharing, while necessary, can be extremely triggering and unwarranted. You can turn off the auto-play on these videos on your feed by going to "Settings," "Videos" and then turning "Auto-Play" to "off." If you're using the Facebook App on a mobile device, you can go to your phone's settings, tap "Facebook," hit "Settings" and choose the off option in "Auto-Play."
2. Surround Yourself With People Who You Love. Whoever you feel will best understand your state of mind at the moment, text them to hang out. It doesn't matter if you're hanging out in the house, out for lunch or doing any other social activity to get your mind off of it. Just being with someone who's going to validate your emotions at the moment is helpful.
3. Get Your Body Moving. Even if it's only stretching, the seratonin that is released in your brain when you start moving your body can do wonders. If you're able to, go for a walk outside or get some exercise in.
4. Practice Some Aromatherapy. Oils, candles, bath soaps or any type of smell-good object is essential at this time. Aromatherapy is known to improve your psychological and physical wellness.
5. Get Creative. You might not consider yourself an artistic type, but there are plenty of ways to get creative. You can free-write whatever's on your mind, doodle in your notebook, color in a coloring sheet or anything else that you like. Using the right side of your brain can be a super relaxing way to re-focus and clear your mind.
6. Follow Uplifting Social Media Accounts. Negativity only breeds negativity. While the negativity can be factual, there are plenty of accounts out there where you can get the facts but also get some revolutionary inspo at the same time. Focus on scrolling through those accounts for now until you can handle the rest of the Internet.