It's been nine months since Donald Trump announced his candidacy for president in a derogatory, controversial speech that demeaned Mexicans and Mexican immigrants to the United States. But, until now, the president of Mexico, Enrique Peña Nieto, has remained conspicuously mum about the topic of Mr. Trump.
On Monday, he finally broke his silence.
President Peña Nieto told El Universal that he believed Trump's rhetoric is damaging the relationship between the United States and Mexico. "I am with those who regret and condemn this kind of [discriminatory] statements by Republican hopeful Donald Trump; they hurt the relationship with the U.S.," he told the newspaper, according to a translation provided by Fox News Latino.
He added that he is not worried about Trump actually winning the presidency (#shade), and said he would "seek the path of mutual respect" with the next president — whoever it is.
Two former presidents of the country have also spoken out about Trump and his plans to build a border wall at Mexico's expense. Last month, Vicente Fox told Fusion's Jorge Ramos that Mexico would not "pay for that f*cking wall."
"[Trump] should pay for it," Fox said. "He's got the money."
He echoed the sentiments of his successor, Felipe Calderón, who said that the Mexican people "[would] not pay a single cent for such a stupid wall."