In The News
By Sugey Palomares | 02/23/2012 - 13:23
- ‘The Man’ may be a term that most alpha males find endearing, but not for professional baseball player Albert Pujols. An Angels marketing campaign has sprouted 20 billboard advertisements across Southern California, including one of Pujols with the words “El Hombre” (“The Man") written across the board. The slugger disapproves of the campaign out of respect for St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Famer Stan Musial, who earned the original nickname.
By Sugey Palomares | 02/22/2012 - 14:15
- Dining out has taken a new meaning for Alex Rodriguez! The Yankees player has developed a bizarre ritual of bringing his own food to restaurants while spring training in Tampa, Florida. A-Rod and his wrestler girlfriend Torrie Wilson were spotted having lunch in South Beach over the weekend, but sources say he didn’t order anything on the menu. Instead the Dominican baseball player was sticking to a special high-protein diet. He even carried his own cooler packed with meals!
By Sugey Palomares | 02/21/2012 - 16:04
- Panamanian professional pitcher Mariano Rivera made a couple of questionable comments at yesterday's press conference for the beginning of spring training. He mentioned making a decision, but deciding to remain elusive about it for now, “I just don’t want to tell you. I know now. I will let you guys know when I think I should tell you.” The 42-year-old Yankees player has been with the New York team for over ten years and recently underwent vocal cord surgery. Fans have been suspicious about whether Rivera will retire his catcher's mitt. What do you think?
By Jill Pankow | 02/20/2012 - 12:40
-Though the New York Knicks 7 game winning streak came to an end last Friday against the New Orleans Hornets, it is doubtful that Linsanity will be completely over just yet. As the return of Knicks part-Puerto Rican Carmelo Anthony grows nearer with each game, it has been no secret that sports fans have a great deal of apprehension surrounding his coming back to the court.
By Jill Pankow | 02/17/2012 - 11:43
- Pau Gasol’s future with the Los Angeles Lakers is out of his hands as the NBA’s trade deadline, March 15th, approaches. Though he finds it difficult at times to distance himself from thoughts of being traded, fans certainly aren’t seeing the rumors affecting his skills on the court. The Spanish basketball star has averaged 16.8 points, 10.6 rebounds, 3 assists and 1.3 blocks so far this season. “There’s talks and rumors every day.
By Jill Pankow | 02/17/2012 - 11:38
President Barack Obama had a full schedule recently as he wined and dined with prominent figures in California to raise support, and money, for his re-election campaign. After two days of fundraising with celebrities and business leaders in Southern California Obama was able to raise $4 million, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
By Sugey Palomares | 02/16/2012 - 11:03
- Sports Illustrated model Kate Upton was trying to play it cool when asked about her rumored romance with NFL player Mark Sanchez during her appearance on Ellen. The daytime host playfully started to drill the 19-year-old about whether she is hooking up with the hunky Jets quarterback. "Yeah, he is cute," Upton confessed. "I've met him. My sister works for the Jets. And she's been working there for four years.
By Jill Pankow | 02/15/2012 - 14:39
Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa has been chosen by the Democratic Party to chair the national convention this summer in Charlotte, North Carolina. Democrats hope that by choosing the Mexican American Mayor as chair Latinos will be encouraged to lend their support to Barack Obama, who the Democrats are expected to nominate for re-election, and other party candidates.
By Jill Pankow | 02/15/2012 - 10:23
Last night’s Valentine’s Day buzzer beater has propelled Linsanity to its highest level yet. The last minute 3-point shot by break-out star Jeremy Lin gave the New York Knicks the 90-87 win over the Toronto Raptors continuing their 6 game winning streak. The rise of Lin in the absence of Carmelo Anthony, who sat out his 4th game due to a groin injury, seems to have made part-Puerto Rican Anthony into a villain of sorts.
By Jill Pankow | 02/14/2012 - 12:43
Every year, thousands of high school students take advanced placement exams; however, the shocker stems from who isn’t taking them. According to a report done by The College Board released last week, 60 percent of students who are said to have AP potential didn’t take any AP exams, including many Latino, black and Native American teens. “AP” potential is a likelihood of 70 percent or more that a student will achieve a 3 out of 5 or higher on an AP exam according to their scores on the PSAT/NMSQT.