On Wednesday afternoon, another school shooting took place leaving behind heartache and questions. A Florida teenage gunman opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland killing at least 17 people and several wounded, officials said.
CNN reports Nicolas Cruz, 19, has been a former student but was no longer enrolled. He pulled the fire alarm and started activeley shooting around dismissal time prompting the school to go into a "code red" lockdown.
Shooting at Marjory stoneman Douglas high school not even a hour ago.. prayers go out to everyone in the school pic.twitter.com/9n8bx2Vp4F
— cyanide. (@Tezlurkss) February 14, 2018
Victims were shot inside and outside the school as Cruz made his way in different classrooms.
Cruz was described as "troubled" by teachers. Jim Gard, who said Cruz had been in his math class last year noted, “There were problems with him last year threatening students, and I guess he was asked to leave campus,” Miami Herald reports.
According Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said there were no warning signs or threats that could have indicated such an attack.
My prayers and condolences to the families of the victims of the terrible Florida shooting. No child, teacher or anyone else should ever feel unsafe in an American school.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 14, 2018
The suspect was taken into custody.