President Donald Trump’s most controversial and outrageous key pledge to build a wall along the border of Mexico is actually well on its way to becoming a reality.
The federal government said Tuesday that contractors began building eight prototypes of Trump’s proposed border wall along Mexico. The construction, which has already been setback three months due to legal issues and protests by potential contractors who didn’t win contracts, has now initiated. Eight prototypes are being built on the construction site that is close to the existing high-security fence, which marks the border through San Diego and extends along the east.
Each prototype is said to be thirty feet high and thirty feet wide. Customs and Border Protection expect the building process to last thirty days. The bidding documents say four of the prototypes are to built of solid concrete and four of 'other materials.' President Trump mentioned on Friday that the wall should be see-through, which disqualifies the concrete designs.
A spokesman for the Border Patrol, Mark Endicott, said on Monday that construction is expected to begin “in the near future… we currently don’t have anything to release regarding the start of construction,” he said.
According to LA Times, this past weekend no-parking signs were placed along roads and streets in business parks surrounding the border area. The signs posted by the San Diego Police Department and the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department, extend the parking ban until November 10th. Concrete barriers were placed at some intersections, closing off access to the construction site, chain link fences have also been built, and at least three mobile security cameras were placed at points overlooking the broad open land.
Despite all of the preparations, there are fears that the start of the construction will rally protests as big as the ones that formed for the Dakota Access Pipeline last year.