Miami Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen is in some serious hot water right now for his recent comments about none other than Fidel Castro. In an article for Time magazine, Guillen was quoted as saying:
"I respect Fidel Castro. You know why? A lot of people have wanted to kill Fidel Castro for the last 60 years, but that son of a bitch is still there."
Loving Castro is all well and good but expressing that opinion when you represent a team in Miami, a city with a huge Cuban population, might not be the smartest move. MLB wasn't particularly pleased and Guillen was suspended for five games because of his comments.
We aren't surprised Guillen is causing a stir with his new team because he has history for saying stupid things. It's almost more surprising to think that he still has a job in Major League Baseball given his ramblings. He's been doing this for years! Don't believe us? Here's a round-up of some of Guillen's funniest, weirdest, and most controversial comments.
1. We can't wait to see what Guillen does when he decides he wants to get fired: "I'm not going to quit. I'm not a quitter. When I want to quit, I'll do a lot of stupid things and make sure they fire me and get paid."
2. A baseball manager probably shouldn't admit this on Twitter: "3 day of Spring Training and im already boreddddddd."
3. Um, at least he's honest: "I watched Little League this morning ... they were playing better than we did. At least it was more fun. This is not major-league baseball, sorry."
4. He totally cares about his fans, so it could be worse: "I'm not in a pennant race, but at least I have some pride and at least I have something to fight for and at least I have something to show up to this ballpark and play [for]. And when you go out there and you turn your TV on and watch stupid [bleep] football, when those [bleeping] football players don't give a [bleep] about you, that's embarrassing."
5. Guillen isn't a fan of the Cubs' stadium: “But one thing about Wrigley Field, I puke every time I go there. That’s just to be honest. And if Cub fans don’t like the way I talk about Wrigley Field, it’s just Wrigley Field. I don’t say anything about the fans or anything now."
6. He didn't say anything about Cubs fans then, but when asked why the stadium was packed when the White Sox played the Cubs: "Because our fans are not stupid like Cubs fans. They know we're [bleep]."
7. When arguing on the field with an umpire: "You're not even a pimple on your daddy's [butt]."
8. Always calling it like he sees it: "A couple of days ago we were the [bleeping] best stuff in town. Now we're [bleep]. [...] We won it a couple years ago, and we're horse[bleep]. The Cubs haven't won in 100 years, and they're the [bleeping] best. [Bleep] it, we're good. [Bleep] everybody."
9. It's hard to believe he's married: "What attracted me to my wife is she's hot. She's also nice, she's a great mom - but that comes after she's hot."
10. He said it, not us: "I'm the Charlie Sheen of baseball without the drugs and a prostitute."