72 Central and South American citizens were found murdered along the northern Mexico border on August 24, and since then there has been an international outcry to bring those responsible to justice. The bodies were found after a shoot-out between suspected drug cartel members and local authorities.
There were two survivors of the gruesome mass murder, 18-year-old Luis Freddy Lala Pomavilla of Ecuador and another young man from Honduras whose name is being withheld by Mexican authorities for safety reasons. Both survivors have said that they were captured by Los Zetas, a ruthless drug gang that dominates part of Tamaulipas where the migrants were found. The migrants were attempting to cross the border in search of work and were murdered when their families could not pay the ransom demanded by the cartel.
The bodies of the state detective and local police chief who were investigating the massacre of the migrants were discovered just yesterday.
Daniel Boche, the father of Gelder Lizardo Boche, a 17-year-old victim of the massacre, told the NY Times, “The truth is, I am scared,” as he left for a Mass in his son’s honor.