Mariah Carey Performed for Embattled Libyan Leader Qaddafi
By Mariela Rosario | 02/24/2011 - 16:00 |
Say what? OK, the last place we thought we'd be reading news about Mariah Carey would be in an article about embattled Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi, but it's true!
There is a connection between the Butterfly laden singer and the strong-armed dictator. It seems like Qaddaffi rather enjoys the sweet, smooth sounds of Carey's singing voice and paid the pop star a cool one million dollars to perform just four songs at a private party on New Year's day in St. Barts in 2009. According to Wikileaks, Seif al-Islam el-Qaddafi, a son of the Libyan leader Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi was behind the bash.
As the bloody struggle between the Qaddafi regime and the protesters intensifies in the northern African country, those seeking the ouster of the dictator pointed to the cables as proof of the regime's outrageous spending and lavish lifestyle while so many of their constituents struggle.
But Carey shouldn't feel so bad, just a year later, Beyonce and Usher both took up the Qadaffi's on a similar offer and also performed for the Libyan leaders.
Like this post? Contribute to the Discussion
- Marc Anthony Sues ClubCreate Over 1.3 Million Loan
- Group Of Life? World Cup Draw Gives France, Belgium, Argentina Favorable Foes In First Round
- Caxirola Replaces Vuvuzela As World Cup Noisemakers (VIDEO)
- Tom Tancredo Leads GOP Field For Colorado Governor Amongst Republicans, Despite 2010 Loss
- Susana Martinez: 'Nuh Uh,' I'm Not Interested In Running For Vice President