Today I got the opportunity to attend a press conference...blah, blah, blah. Pretty run of the mill for a journalist? Yes but today was a little different. First of all, it was at Yankee Stadium. Secondly it featured Romeo Santos, the king of bachata, announcing his concert date at the baseball venue on July 12 and his new album, Formula, Vol. 2, which drops tomorrow. Epic in itself. Below are a few other things I learned at the press conference.
1. Romeo's not a big sports fan but he is a Yankee fan. "I always walked around visualizing going to a game with my dad," the Bronx native said. "I never envisioned performing at Yankee Stadium."
2. On his collabo with Drake ("Odio") he didn't have to push the Toronto MC to sing in Spanish. "Drake really wanted to sing in Spanish."
3. Romeo is basically updating Willie Colon's classic, "El Gran Varon." "'No Tiene La Culpa' is about a gay kid who feels trapped in his body."
4. Expect a Prince Royce/Romeo collabo soon. "We are really good friends so a collaboration will happen in the near future."
5. Romeo will be the first Latin act to perform at Yankee Stadium since the legendary Fania All Stars in the 1970s.
PS: When Romeo performs on July 12 it should be called Yanquis Stadium, right?