Henry Louis Gates Jr.
By Mariela Rosario | 04/26/2011 - 15:30 | 0 Comments
When we asked Prof. Henry Louis Gates Jr. about why so many Latinos get confused about race, specifically when filling out forms like the recent U.S. census, he tell us it may be because Latino "is not a race in and of itself."
"The way people self-identify is very subjective and very cultural-specific," he continued. "And I don’t blame people...
By Mariela Rosario | 04/19/2011 - 16:45 | 4 Comments
We recently spoke with Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. about his new documentary series for PBS entitled Black in Latin America to find out what he discovered about the racial experience of Afro-Latinos in the region.
We wanted to know what compelled Prof. Gates to take his groundbreaking Black In series to Latin America and...
- The enemies of love, part six: Lack of commitment
- Do we really need hate crimes laws? Aren’t MOST crimes “hate” crimes?
- The Fate of DC Comics Movie Universe: In the hands of an immigrant named Kal
- Hulu’s new Latino teen drama: East Los High
- Civil Unrest takes over Brazil as it gears up for World Cup, Olympics, and Pope