Did you watch the MTV Movie Awards last night?! Whether you tuned in to see Paul Walker's tribute, the red carpet fashion, or Zac Efron's shirt being ripped off (thank you, Rita Ora), one standout was definitely Jessica Alba. The actress and entrepreneur showed off her amazing figure in a Piece D'anarchive crop top and full skirt by Kenzo and looked even more glam thanks to her fabulous hairdo by stylist Davy Newkirk. Newkirk, who has worked with Sofia Vergara, Katy Perry and Jessica Biel, gave us the exclusive scoop on what inspired him, Jessica's requests and the number one trick to getting the look at home.
What was the inspiration for the look?
Inspiration for her hairstyle came after seeing her outfit. I loved that it was modern and also sexy at the same time. Jessica has amazing taste, she mentioned that she wanted something soft and with volume. We talked about it and came up with the desired look.
What's Jessica's hair texture? How did that play into the style?
Jessica's natural hair texture has a good bit of curl to it. She has great hair and with her natural texture, you can do a lot to it.
For this style, I smoothed out her natural curl using the John Frieda Luxurious Volume Fine to Full Blow-Out Spray. This smoothed out her curl and gave her hair a lot of volume and tons on shine.
What's the hardest part of this 'do? What should readers keep in mind to get the look?
The hardest part of the style is to not have it overly "done" looking. Or too much of the wrong products so the hair looks not so fresh and touchable.
The readers at home can obtain this look by making sure to use the proper products. I love the John Frieda Luxurious Volume Fine to Full Blow-Out Spray and the John Frieda Frizz Ease Secret Weapon Touch Up Crème, which made a huge difference. It's super light and helped make the style look polished. I also recommend using a good hairspray. You don't want the style to look like it has a ton of hairspray on it or is"crunchy" looking. I like the John Frieda Luxurious Volume All-Day Hold Hairspray because it is light yet strong. It holds the hair and also gives it some shine.
If you had to pick the one product that a reader definitely should not skimp out on when trying to recreate Jessica's look, what would it be?
The John Frieda Luxurious Volume Fine to Full Blow-Out Spray is the key product. Spraying it all over, on wet hair and using a round brush like I did, gives the hair a great base for any hairstyle. It gives tons of volume and also hold. You could just wear the blowout or curling hair also works well.
Anything else you can share about Jessica's style?
Jessica has amazing personal style. I love a girl with great taste and she has it! She looks really chic even day to day when she is just running around.
In order to recreate this look, follow these steps from Newkirk using products from John Frieda:
1. Newkirk started by applying John Frieda Luxurious Volume Fine to Full Blow-Out Spray all over Jessica’s wet hair.
2. Then he blew out her hair using a large round brush to give her tons of volume and a lot of shine.
3. After blow drying, Newkirk parted her hair into 2 inch sections (starting from the nape and working up).
4. Then he curled the hair with a large 1 ½ inch curling iron. He made sure to secure each section with a duckbill clip and allowed each curl to set.
5. Once curls were set, he removed the hair clips and with a flat brush, gently brushed out each curl.
6. Newkirk placed a small amount of John Frieda Frizz Ease Secret Weapon Touch-Up Crème and smoothed it through Jessica’s hair to achieve a perfectly smooth look.
7. After, with a large comb, he parted the hair and smoothed it down with a touch of John Frieda Frizz Ease Nourishing Oil Elixir.
8. Finally he manipulated Jessica’s curls with his finger and a brush. To finish and lock the style he sprayed John Frieda Luxurious Volume All-Day Hold Hairspray.