Taco Tuesdays are so 2013. The new trend is Tostada Tuesdays. (Ok, I made that up, but it's good, no?) To get on board with the [not yet] trend - c'mon, be an early adopter! - make these easy Chicken Tinga Tostadas by Chef Marcela Valladolid.
Developed by the Mexican Made Easy chef and featuring a handful of her Safeway exclusive products and ingredients, they're a half homemade recipe that elevates midweek meals without requiring precious midweek time. Bonus points: they're delicious.
For the chicken:
- 6 cups water
- 1 lb. chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 1/4 medium white onion
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp. whole peppercorns
- 1 tbsp. salt
For the tinga:
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar Marcela Valladolid Chipotle Cooking Sauce
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 10 freshly made tostadas using Marcela Valladolid Corn Tortillas
- 1 package Marcela Valladolid Pinto Beans, mashed
- iceberg lettuce, shredded, for serving
- olive oil, for serving
- red wine vinegar, for serving
- 1 avocado, sliced, for serving
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- Marcela Valladolid Fire Roasted Salsa, for serving
- Marcela Valladolid Crema, for serving
- Marcela Valladolid Queso Fresco, for serving
- Combine ingredients for chicken in large heavy sauce pan.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Turn heat off and remove chicken from liquid.
- Reserve liquid for later use. Shred chicken.
- In large heavy sauté pan, heat vegetable oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and shredded chicken and mix well until evenly incorporated.
- Add chipotle sauce and bring to boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until all flavors are enhanced. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To assemble tostadas, smear each with 1 tbsp. mashed beans and top with chicken tinga and lettuce dressed in olive oil and vinegar.
- Garnish with avocado slices, radishes, salsa, Marcela Valladolid crema, and crumbled Marcela Valladolid queso fresco.
- Repeat per tostada and serve immediately.