Last week, we were lucky enough to receive a visit from chef Aarón Sánchez. Stopping by the Latina offices, he and the Ortega team shared news about an exciting new product, the Fiesta Flats. These fun taco shells are a great way to serve appetizers, and chef Aarón has developed some exciting new recipes for Ortega featuring the Fiesta Flats and the Fiesta Flat Minis. Naturally gluten-free, we loved the versatility of these shells, whether you're serving up some of your favorite ceviche or making them a part of your DIY taco bar.
For our money, one of the best recipes was this super-easy take on a layered dip. For a simple but sure-to-wow-them appetizer, try Aarón Sánchez's Seven-Layer Dip Fiesta Flats!
- 1 (16-oz) can ORTEGA® Traditional Refried Beans
- 1 tbsp. ORTEGA® Taco Seasoning or 40% Reduced Sodium Taco Seasoning
- 1 (12 ct.) package ORTEGA® Fiesta Flats™ Flat Bottomed Taco Shells
- 1 cup shredded cheese, such as Cheddar or Monterey Jack
- 1 (16-oz) jar ORTEGA® Salsa, any variety
- 1 (4-oz) can ORTEGA® Fire-Roasted Diced Green Chiles
- Shredded lettuce
- Thinly sliced scallions
- Diced tomato
- Sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Put the refried beans in a saucepan over medium heat and stir in the taco seasoning. While the beans are heating, arrange the Fiesta Flats on a single layer large baking sheet and put them in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes.
- When the Fiesta Flats are heated through, remove from the oven and divide the refried beans among them, using a spoon to spread the beans along the bottom of each flat. Top the beans with some shredded cheese, then a spoonful or two of salsa, a few of the green chiles, some shredded lettuce and scallions. Scatter some diced tomato on top of each and top with a dollop of sour cream. Serve at once.