02/21/2008 - 21:48 | 0 Comments|
Toasted coconut adds an unexpected flavor to pumpkin pie. Serve the pie topped with sweetened whipped cream if you'd like.
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tbsp. cold milk
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups cooked, mashed pumpkin
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
1 tbsp. butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Make the crust: In a small bowl, mix together oil and milk with fork. Place flour, sugar, and salt in 9-inch pie pan. With fingers, mix to incorporate. Add oil mixture to flour mixture. With a fork, mix to form a dough. Using fingers, pat dough around sides and then over bottom of pan. Prick bottom with tines of fork. Bake for 15 minutes. (Leave the oven on.)
3. Make the fillling: Spread coconut on a baking sheet and place in the oven until toasted, about 5 minutes. (Leave the oven on but reduce the temperature to 350°F.) Allow coconut to cool.
4. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add pumpkin, sugars, spices, salt, evaporated milk, butter, and half of toasted coconut. Blend until smooth. Pour mixture into pie shell. Bake 40 to 50 minutes, until filling has set. Allow to cool, cover, and refrigerate before serving.
5. When ready to serve, sprinkle remaining toasted coconut over top.
Like this post? Contribute to the Discussion