Serve the chicken on a bed of freshly cooked white rice.
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 whole chicken (2 1/2 lb.), cut into serving pieces
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups cubed (1/2 inch) mango
1/2 tsp. grated orange zest
3/4 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup orange juice
1. In a small bowl, combine 2 teaspoons of the salt, the garlic powder, cumin, and pepper. Rub mixture over chicken.
2. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook on all sides, adding oil as needed, until well browned and no pink remains.
3. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
4. In a small bowl, mash 1 cup of mango to make a coarse puree that is partially lumpy. Stir in remaining mango cubes, orange zest, ginger, onion, and orange juice and mix well.
5. Place chicken pieces in a 10- to 12-inch-square glass or ceramic baking dish. Cover with foil and prick foil three or four times with fork. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake, uncovered, another 5 minutes.