For a little health tweak, try this with 2% Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel).
3 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
2 cups finely ground graham cracker or gingersnap crumbs
1 1/4 lb. ripe papaya
2 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, at room temperature
2/3 cup sour cream
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease an 8-inch springform pan.
2. In a bowl, blend butter and cookie crumbs to make a crumbly mixture. Press crumb mixture onto bottom of springform, spreading it evenly.
3. Peel papaya and scoop out seeds. Separate one-third of papaya and cut into thin slices. Set aside. Mash remaining papaya.
4. In a bowl, with an electric mixer, combine mashed papaya, cream cheese, sour cream, and sugar and beat until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat well. While beating, sprinkle in flour until well mixed.
5. Pour mixture into springform and bake 1 hour 10 minutes or until center of cake is firm. Remove from oven and let cool 1 hour.
6. Decorate center of cake with papaya slices, making pinwheel design. Garnish cake edge with remaining slices and lightly dust with confectioners' sugar.