Using reduced-fat versions of the tres leches does not dull the flavor of this decadent dish. For a slight flavor change-up, make this with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for the pan
5 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup 2% milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 can (14 oz.) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1 can (12 oz.) fat-free evaporated milk
1/4 cup whole milk
Lite nondairy whipped topping
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray and dust with flour.
2. In a bowl, with an electric mixer, beat egg yolks with 3/4 cup of the sugar until light in color and doubled in volume. Stir in 2% milk, vanilla, 1 cup flour, and the baking powder.
3. In another bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until firm but not dry. Fold egg whites into flour mixture and pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden and center is springy. Cool 10 minutes and remove sides of pan and cool cake completely.
4. In a small saucepan, combine condensed milk, evaporated milk, and whole milk and heat. Place cake on a deep serving plate. Prick cake all over with skewer or two-prong fork. Slowly pour milk mixture over cake until it is absorbed.
5. Serve with nondairy whipped topping, if desired.