The vinaigrette for this salad would also make a lovely marinade for grilled fish.
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 cup olive or canola oil (or mixture of both)
1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 large head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
1 small jicama (about 3/4 lb.), cut into thin sticks
1 small bunch radishes, sliced into half-moons
1/4 small red onion, very thinly sliced
1 large avocado, diced
1 large mango, diced
1/4 cup roasted, salted pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
1. Make the vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, combine lime juice, cilantro, cumin, and cayenne. Slowly whisk in oil until emulsified. Add salt and adjust seasonings to taste.
2. Make the salad: Preheat ridged grill pan over medium-high heat.
3. Place chicken in a shallow dish and cover evenly with one-third of vinaigrette. Add chicken to preheat grill pan and cook until just done, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer to cutting board and let cool 5 minutes, then cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
4. Meanwhile, in a large serving bowl, toss lettuce with small amount of vinaigrette. In another bowl, combine jicama, radishes, onion, avocado, and mango. Gently toss with more vinaigrette.
5. To serve, place vegetable and fruit mixture on a bed of lettuce. Arrange the chicken on top. Top chicken with remaining vinaigrette and pepitas.