This delicious Mexican soup only has 165 calories and under 4 grams of fat per serving.
1 fresh pasilla chile, seeds and ribs removed
6 corn tortillas, cut into strips
9 plum tomatoes, halved
1 tbsp. chopped garlic
2 medium onions, sliced
2 sprigs fresh basil, leaves stripped off and finely chopped
2 sprigs cilantro, finely chopped
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 cup finely chopped meat from a smoked ham hock (leave only about 5 percent of fat)
7 cups fat-free chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
6 tbsp. fat-free sour cream (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place pasilla chile skin-side up on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes or until toasted but not burned. Leave the oven on. Let the chile cool, then chop into small pieces and set aside.
2. Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown. Set aside and allow to cool.
3. Place tomatoes in a skillet coated with cooking spray and add garlic and onions. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add basil, cilantro, and oregano, and basil and stir just to combine. Transfer mixture to a food processor and puree.
4. Wipe out skillet and coat with cooking spray. Add ham and sauté. Add tomato puree and chicken broth. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
5. Serve in bowls, and sprinkle with chopped chile and shredded cheese. Add sour cream if desired. Garnish with tortilla strips and serve hot.