Daisy Fuentes. Judy Reyes. Oscar De La Hoya. Breast cancer doesn't recognize the status of a celebrity. But celebrities can help to bring more awareness to this potentially deadly disease. Both Daisy and Judy's moms are breast cancer survivors. As a result, they've campaigned for more research and free screenings, helped to raise funds and and both appear in public service announcements on behalf of Breast Cancer Awareness.
Oscar De La Hoya built the women's cancer center at White Memorial Hospital in East L.A. in memory of his mother, Cecilia Gonzalez De La Hoya, who died of breast cancer at the tender age of 35. "At the center, women have access to advanced technology to treat cancer, a supportive environment and a shuttle that will pick them up from their homes and take them to the hospital."
Not a celebrity? Don't worry. Here's how you can do your part. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month, Latina.com encourages you to lend your support to cancer centers, like the one Oscar built for his mom, by buying the brands designed to benefit various breast cancer research and foundations. Then check the October issue of Latina magazine for a profile on one of the top breast surgeons, who happens to be a good Puerto Rican woman, and interviews with Judy Reyes and Daisy Fuentes.
Best Buys that Benefit Cancer Research
1. Dior Couture Palette ($50, sephora.com): A portion of proceeds will go to the American Cancer Society.
2. DuWop Pink Shimmer Lip Venom, part of Purse Your Lips ($24, sephora.com): 10 percent of proceeds will go to Cosmetic Executive Women's Cancer and Careers.
3. Archipelago Ribbons of Love Diffuser ($50, 800-399-4994): 40 percent of proceeds will go to City of Hope.
4. Aveda Breast Cancer Awareness Hand Relief ($20, aveda.com): $4 from each sale will go to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
5. Red Flower Petal—Topped Japanese Peony Candle ($30, redflower.com): $10 from each sale will go to the Rose Organization.
6. Sonia Kashuk Pouch of Pink ($6, 800-800-8800 or target.com for locations): All net proceeds will go to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
7&8. Smashbox No. 19 Brush and Smashbox Blushing Pink Fusion Soft Lights ($59 for set, sephora.com): A portion of the proceeds will go to the National Breast Cancer Coaltion Fund.
9. Jo Malone Red Roses Cologne ($50, jomalone.com): Jo Malone will donate $14,000 to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
10. Estée Lauder Jeweled Pink Ribbon Compact & Brush Set in Bronze Goddess $5, esteelauder.com): Estée Lauder will donate $500,000 in connection with its Pink Ribbon Collection to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.