10 Classic Pieces Every Woman Should Own
01/16/2008 - 18:50 ||
Trends may come and go, but these pieces remain stylish staples worth your investment.
1. The trench coat. Just about the chicest thing you could ever wear. And if you buy one with a removable wool lining it'll take you through spring, summer and fall. Did we mention how great it looks?
2. Flat-front trousers. When you're looking for a classic pant, steer clear of pleats or bulky pockets in front; those details will make the pants look dated. A flat-front trouser is flattering on any body, with clean, simple lines.
3. Pencil skirt. Nothing hugs our curves like a straight pencil skirt. Make sure there´s some stretch in the fabric, and always keep it below-the-knee so the skirt can go from the office to cocktail hour with ease.
4. A leather tote. You'll always need a leather carryall that's polished and structured for work.
5. Black pumps. You want them in plain black or chocolate brown leather, pointy-toed and clean of any detailing. You'll be able to wear them with everything from suits to jeans.
6. The wrap dress. This new staple is a fantastic travel piece. In a loose jersey fabric, it's a universally flattering dress that can go through the seasons worn with boots, pumps or sandals.
7. Gold jewelry. Hoops and bangles are forever stylish!
8. A white button-down shirt. It'll always bring to mind the elegant Carolina Herrera, who made the crisp white shirt a part of her timeless uniform. It's elegant, professional and--depending on how many buttons you undo—very sexy, too.
9. The perfect suit. Rules to remember when shopping for a suit: It needs to be fitted; nothing boxy or tight. On blazers, look for darts, or seams that curve into your waist; these will help define your mid-section and make the suit look modern. Make sure pants are flat-front. If you prefer skirts, go for a straight pencil shape that hits just below the knee. And pick a neutral, classic color like black, brown, tan or white.
10. The little black dress. (Of course!) What makes a little black dress the little black dress? Versatility. You want one that can go from day to night, so look for a simple tank or sheath dress: Sleeveless, with clean lines and no fussy detailing. It'll be smooth under a blazer, and sleek all by itself.
Like this post? Contribute to the Discussion