Sara Ramirez will be heavily featured in Thursday's musical episode of Grey's Anatomy. In fact, the entire episode will be told from the point of view of her character, orthopedic surgeon Callie Torres, in the aftermath of a violent car crash that leaves Callie bloody and bruised, lying lifeless on the hood of Arizona's (Jessica Capshaw) car. In light of the fact that this is Ramirez's biggest episode of Grey's Anatomy to date, we thought it was the perfect time to look back on her impressive career— both on-stage and on-screen.
Here are some of the highlights:
- In 1998, Sara made her Broadway debut as Wahzinak in Paul Simon's The Capeman. Based on the life of Salvador Agron, a Puerto Rican gang member who murdered two teens in a Hell's Kitchen park in 1959, the musical cost approximately $11 million to produce, and starred Latinos like Ruben Blades and Marc Anthony.
- That same year, Ramirez made a brief (but memorable) appearance in the Nora Ephron rom-com, You"ve Got Mail, as a Zabars cashier named Rose who found Tom Hanks charming and Meg Ryan super annoying.
- In 1999, Sara voiced the character Lammy, the protagonist in the PlayStation video game UmJammer Lammy.
- 2002 was the year that Sara became a working girl — with an explosive role as the mentally unstable prostitute Lisa Perez on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.
- In 2005, producers from ABC and Grey's Anatomy went to see Monty Python's Spamalot on Broadway and were so impressed with Sara's talent, they offered her the chance to star on the ABC show of her choice. Sara picked her favorite show, Grey's Anatomy. Sara joined the cast of the hit show in its second season (2006) as a recurring guest star, and over the years, her role has gone from that of supporting player to a fan-favorite!
- In addition to getting rave reviews for her work in Spamalot, Ramirez won the 2005 Tony Award for Best Performance by A Featured Actress in a Musical, as well as an Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding Featured Actress in a Musical for the role.
- In 2008, Sara won her first SAG award as a member of the ensemble cast of Grey's Anatomy.
- On March 31, 2011, Sara will play the lead role in the highly anticipated musical episode of Grey's Anatomy. We'll be watching!