When most people think of Sheila E. they often remember her as that beautiful woman who killed it on the timbales during Prince's concerts back in the day. But what many don't know is that before and after her years working with the Grammy-winning artist, she's been slaying with her talent. Sheila has been a pioneer, influencing the sounds of many artists past and present. Bet you didn't know that either, did ya?
Here are 10 more things you probably never knew about Sheila E.:
1. Sheila E was born Sheila Escovedo to Juanita Gardere and Pete Escovedo. She is of Mexican and Creole heritage.
2. The late Tito Puente was her godfather.
3. When she was 5 years old, Sheila performed for the first time ever alongside her father.
4. At age 5, Sheila was also raped — a piece of her history that she details in her memoir The Beat of My Own Drum.
5. Ever noticed that Sheila E. is left-handed when it comes to playing the congas? This is something she learned from mirroring her father's moves throughout her early years.
6. Nicole Richie is her biological niece. She was born to Sheila's brother Peter Michael Escovedo and her executive assistant at the time, Karen Moss.
7. Sheila E. is most famously known for playing as part of Prince's band in the '80s. The two met in 1978 at concert she was performing at with her dad.
8. From business to pleasure, Sheila wound up dating Prince and the two even got engaged.
9. Sheila E. was engaged to Carlos Santana when she was 18 and he was 36. In an interview, she said the two had a wonderful romance and that he was her first love.
10. The 58-year-old Grammy-nominated musician has worked with some major powerhouses including Gloria Estefan, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez and Kanye West.