Edgar Ramirez's Hollywood star is really taking off! So get ready, because his name is one you're going to hear quite a bit in the next few months. Ramirez is starring in Deliver Us From Evil (in theaters today!) and has a long line of projects already lined up. With Ramirez's career on the uprise, we thought it would be the perfect time to highlight the 10 things you need to know about this hunky star:
1. Born in Venezuela
1. Edgar Ramirez was born Edgar Filiberto Ramirez Arellano on March 25, 1977 to Soday Arellano and Filiberto Ramírez in San Cristobal, Venezuela.
2. Edgar's mother, Soday Arellano, was an attorney and his father, Filiberto Ramírez, was a military officer. As a result of his father's work, Edgar spent a large chunk of his childhood traveling to different countries.
3. Speaks 5 languages fluently
3. Thanks to his worldly experience, Edgar can speak not one, not two, but five different languages! The hunky actor is fluent in Spanish, German, English, French, and Italian.
4. Edgar is an educated stud! The 37-year-old actor graduated from Venezuela's Universidad Católica Andrés Bello (Andres Bello Catholic University) in 1999 with a degree in journalism and politics. "I wanted to be a diplomat and journalist," he was once quoted saying. "I have a deep fascination with human nature, with all its virtues and all its defects."
5. Costa Rica novela
5. Edgar's first recognition as an actor came with his role in the Venevision telenovela Cosita Rica. The soap opera only aired for a year, but it was considered very successful.
6. No Dispares
6. Edgar is quite the humanitarian. The Venezuelan actor is a supporter of Amnesty International's "No Dispares" (Don't Shoot) campaign and in 2010 he was named a Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF.
7. Edgar's first Hollywood role was in the film Dominio, where he played a bounty hunter named Choco. After that, the Venezuelan hottie went on to star in films such as The Bourne Ultimatum, Vantage Point, and Zero Dark Thirty.
8. Cesar Award
8. In 2010, Edgar played the lead role of Carlos in the 2010 French-German biopic series Carlos. His portrayal landed him a win at the 2011 Cesar Awards for Most Promising Actor. Edgar also won an ALMA Award in 2012 for his role as Ares in Wrath of the Titans, and he has been nominated for a Golden Globe and Emmy Award.
9. Deliver Us From Evil
9. This summer, the stellar actor is starring as an unconventional priest named Mendoza in the horror film Deliver Us From Evil. Mendoza is schooled in the rituals of exorcism and he teams up with New York police officer Ralph Sarchie (Eric Bana) to combat the frightening and demonic possessions that are terrorizing their city. The film is in theaters July 2!
10. Upcoming Roles
10. Later this year, Edgar will play Simon Bolivar in the film The Liberator. It chronicles the life and times of Bolivar, known as the hero of South American anti-colonialist struggles in the early 19th century. But Edgar not only stars in this powerful film, he also executive produced it. The 37-year-old actor will also have a starring role in the upcoming film Point Break, which began production in late June.