Demi Lovato's Highs & Lows
11/02/2010 - 08:11 ||
18-year-old singer/actress Demi Lovato checked herself into an in-patient rehab center this week for what her reps are describing as emotional and physical issues. There are whispers that eating disorders and self-mutilation were the causes of Lovato's breakdown. The Disney starlet has spoken openly in the past of the difficulties she had fitting in at school when she was younger, admitting on the Ellen DeGeneres show that her parents pulled her from school in the 7th grade because the bullying was so bad. She was homeschooled from then on and received her high school diploma in 2009.
Here's what you need to know about the highs and lows of young Demi's career so far:
- In 1999, Demi is cast alongside longtime best friend Selena Gomez in Barney & Friends.
- On June 20, 2008 Demi's first mega movie hit, Camp Rock premieres. She stars alongside the Jonas brothers as Mitchie Torres.
- On September 23, 2008 Demi releases her first solo album, Don't Forget. The record debuts at #2 on the Billboard Top 200 list.
- June 2009 Lovato once again co-starred alongside Selena Gomez in Princess Protection Program on the Disney channel.
- In July of 2009, Gomez and Lovato record a silly YouTube video for their fans, which Miley Cyrus and her friend immediately make fun of. A feud is brewing, but Lovato & Gomez take the high road.
- Lovato released her second studio album, Here We Go Again on July 21, 2009. Her sophomore effort debuted at the number one spot on Billboard.
- Lovato went on to star in the Disney Channel Original Series, Sonny With a Chance, which premiered on February 8, 2009.
- Rumors swirl in January 2010 that Lovato and her BFF Selena Gomez are no longer friends. They are rarely spotted in public anymore and their YouTube account is quiet, but when asked about Gomez, Demi told Latina.com, "I love her and I always will."
- Demi Lovato begins a relationship with Joe Jonas in March and gushes about it to the media, saying, "He’s a complete gentleman; he takes me to the most amazing places. He’s perfect!” Just a few months later, the tween dream couple breaks up.
- Demi headlines her first international tour through South America on May 23, 2010, making stops from Chile to Brazil.
- On August 7, 2010, Demi kicks off the Jonas Brothers World Tour, as a special guest.
- Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam premieres on September 3, 2010.
- Just last week, a video surfaced of Demi Lovato accepting a proposal from one of her super fans in Latin America. She seemed in high spirits at the time.
- On November 1, 2010, Lovato's publicist announced that Lovato had left the World Tour to "seek medical treatment for emotional and physical issues she has dealt with for some time."
Like this post? Contribute to the Discussion