Carmelo Anthony Reaches Deal With Knicks: "I'm a New York Knick at Heart"

Carmelo Anthony attends the Carlos Campos fall 2013 presentation
Getty Images

"My City, My Heart." Carmelo Anthony has officially signed back with the New York Knicks!

ESPN reports that Anthony's contract will be for more than $122 million but less than the five-year, $129 million max figure. "A few years ago I dreamed of coming back to New York City, the place of my birth, and on February 23, 2011 that became a reality," Anthony said in a statement.

"This organization has supported me and in return, I want to stay and build here with this city and my team. At this pivotal juncture in my career, I owed it to myself and my family to explore all of the options available to me. Through it all, my heart never wavered."

Anthony continued: "I will always remember this chapter in my life. In the end, I am a New York Knick at heart. I am looking forward to continue my career in Orange & Blue and to work with Phil Jackson, a champion who builds championship teams. Madison Square Garden is the mecca of basketball and I am surrounded by the greatest fans in the world."

Earlier this year, wife (and our August 2014 cover star) La La Anthony opened up about the 30-year-old basketball player's career and becoming a free agent.

"I watched in the post season go through so many ups and downs," she told us during her interview. "They played confident, and he stayed confident in himself and the team, and put the team on his back. He never gave up. He always stayed so positive and believed in his team so I’m just so proud of him."

"I just feel like his time is coming, his time is definitely coming," the 35-year-old actress/TV personality continued. "I’m just excited to see what the future holds for him because he’s such an incredible player [and] he’s such an incredible person, so you know good things happen to good people, I do believe that."