On whether she’s ready for another baby: “If it weren’t because of my music projects I would be pregnant already. I would love to have eight or nine kids with Gerard—my own fútbol team.”
On recording her new album, Shakira., which has reggae, rock, folk and dance influences: “I will always be a little bit of everything. There was a lot of fighting with myself about what direction I wanted to go. Throughout the process there were songs that I used to love at that moment and then hated a few minutes later.”
On how having her son has made it simpler to make music: “I used to go in circles around an idea, but since he arrived I don’t have much time—I have to rush back home—so he has helped me learn how to focus.”
On why she loves mentoring young singers on The Voice: “When you’re an artist you’re so focused on your own [career]. It’s funny to see me in this role of being a mentor and helping out other young singers achieve their own goals and shape their artistic personality.”
On getting back in the studio to record another Spanish-language album: “The relationship I have with my Hispanic fans is very deep and intricate. It’s like a 20-year marriage, but with a lot of passion, with a lot of sex. There’s mutual understanding and trust.”
Download a high-resolution image of the cover below.
Also in the April 2014 issue:
- Have a Good Hair Day! New hair products and tools can remedy everything from frizz to flatness.
- Find Your Best Foundation: Beauty editor Amanda Flores tells readers they don’t need to be scared of foundation, and shares tips on finding the right shade and coverage for every skin tone.
- Naturally Derived Beauty: Plants from all over the world (Switzerland! Brazil!) contain the secrets to healthy skin and hair. Here’s how they can help you.
- Dream Guy vs. The Right Guy: How can you tell when your fantasies of Mr. Right are unrealistic? Real Latinas share what they look for in men and when to get real.
- Hot Jobs: These four career fields are booming, so if you’re looking for a change or just starting out, this is the place to start.
- Make a Million Dollars From Your Kitchen Table: Four Latina entrepreneurs left behind unfulfilling careers and founded their own companies. Now they have more time, more freedom, and they’re changing their worlds. Here’s how you can, too.
- Spring Fashion Makeover—Our Favorite Office Looks: Pack away those heavy sweaters and get ready for fresh new fashion that’s colorful, lively and totally safe for work.
Articles from the upcoming April 2014 issue are available upon request.