Paulina Rubio is suing Telemundo for snubbing her on the second season of the highly rated music competition show La Voz Kids, a Spanish-language children themed spinoff of The Voice.
Rubio, 42, acted as a judge and mentor on the show’s first season, and claims that she signed a $1.325 million contract to appear in the second season. Telemundo cited scheduling concerns as a pretext for abandoning the contract, claiming that the Mexicana's busy schedule as a judge on The X Factor conflicted with her responsibilities to La Voz Kids.
“Telemundo apparently changed its mind after making a deal when presented with the opportunity to hire a far less expensive talent to replace Paulina,” says the lawsuit.
According to Billboard, after the first season of La Voz Kids aired in 2013, Rubio and Telemundo entered into a negotiation for her to appear as a coach and judge again. According to the complaint, they agreed that Rubio would appear on the second season with the same written contract as the first season -- apart from her compensation, which was agreed upon on Dec. 4.
Tanya Perara, the VP of business and legal affairs at Telemundo, reportedly requested written confirmation that no scheduling conflict would exist with the The X Factor. Rubio’s duties on the Fox program had her performing in May and June, while La Voz Kids was slated to shoot earlier in the year.
Rubio is demanding at least $1 million for breach of contract and an additional $100,000 over an alleged deal to use clips of her first season in television advertisements for Gain laundry detergent. Her attorney, Howard King, told The Hollywood Reporter, “Telemundo is going to pay for their questionable business ethics and cavalier attitude toward the talent that contributes so greatly to their commercial success.”
La Voz Kids recently announced its judges for season 2. Prince Royce and Roberto Tapia will both be returning, and Paulina Rubio is slated to be replaced by Natalia Jiménez.