#MassyMethodmMondays: This Arroz Con Leche Recipe Won't Ruin Your Diet
Nothing says home like a chilled, creamy bowl of delicious arroz con leche. Loaded with milk, cream, and sugar, the silky pudding will definitely ruin your diet, but a few substitutions can make the traditional dish much healthier. This recipe I put together is the perfect option for people who are lactose intolerant or want to keep those calories to a minimum. High in fiber, nutrients, and protein, this recipe also contains very little saturated fats, sugar, and cholesterol.
1 ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup short grain brown rice
1 organic cage free whole egg
¼ cup golden raisins
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp cinnamon powder
1/3 cuo short grain
pinch of salt
2 tbs brown sugar or three packets of Stevia leaf extract
2 tsp lemon zest
1. Bring milk, brown rice and a pinch of salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Once the mixture is boiling, reduce heat to low. Let the mixture simmer with the saucepan uncovered until rice is cooked through — about 25 minutes.
3. In a separate small bowl, beat the egg until well combined. Vigorously whisk a small amount of the hot rice mixture into the beaten egg.
4. Add the mixture back into saucepan and stir over low heat until thickened, about 12 minutes.
5. Add in all the other ingredients, including lemon zest, turn off the heat, and let it cool down. Enjoy!
This recipe will definitely impress your family and abuela. Trust us — they won't even realize it's healthy for them!