A telenovela hunk writing a book is sort of like sharing a bar of soap to me—you just don’t do it. Unless, of course, it’s meant to be funny. And that’s exactly what Chilean actor Cristián De La Fuente’s ridiculously titled publishing debut, Hot. Passionate. And Illegal? Why (Almost) Everything You Thought About Latinos Just May Be True (Celebra Hardcover) is intended to do—make you laugh. As someone who has played every stereotype under the sun (from janitor to lothario to gangerito) as well as seduced the American mainstream with his fancy footwork on Dancing With The Stars, de la Fuente is well equipped to dispel myths about Latinos and offer some embarrassing (yet always endearing) truths about our cultura. Among the many pearls of wisdom you’ll find in this field guide for the soon-to-be majority-minority are:
- The 9 “Macho Myths” and the 2 “Macho Truths”
- How to conquer a Latin heartthrob
- Why every woman wants to be Latina
- The 3 big truths about Latin cuisine
- So your daughter is marrying a Latino: Top 10 things non-Latino parents should know
I’m especially intrigued by that second bullet point. I didn’t think it was possible, but it seems I’ve been wrong all along!