If you’re like me, there are two reasons to put off bikini waxes: One, you’re busy, and two, it hurts like hell! But at the start of bikini season a waxing session is an absolute must for a lot of us, which is why I’ve developed this checklist to make the whole experience practically pain-free:
- Schedule the appointment mid-cycle. Your body’s threshold for pain is much lower right before, during, or after your period.
- Do not go out for margaritas before your wax. Though it dulls your senses, alcohol also thins your blood and increases your chance of bleeding. OUCH!
- Trim before you go. Waxing short, even hair hurts less (but make sure it’s still at least 1/4-inch long—the optimal length for waxing).
- Pop two ibuprofen one hour before you walk into the salon.
- If you’re not up for the totally bare look, just skip it. Waxing is not a one-size-fits-all experience.
- Bring your iPod so you can distract yourself with your favorite tunes, or strike up a convo with your aesthetician.
- Be sure to pull your skin taut and exhale when your aesthetician rips off a strip.
Do all of the above and I promise you’ll make it through the torture. And if you still can’t? Grab your razor and the Gillette Venus Bikini Trimmer ($26.20 for 3 on amazon.com). It trims everything evenly, never nicks the skin, and requires no batteries. It’s a lifesaver!