Chicago hair stylist Eli Mancha, who owns Bang! Salon and won this year’s Hairstylist of the Year award at the North American Hairstyling Awards, just passed along a cool how-to for recreating J.Lo’s signature soft, voluminous waves—and it’s easy enough that anyone can do it!
You will need:
-7-10 basic, thin washcloths cut in half horizontally
-A bag of large sized, triangle-shaped makeup sponges
-Mousse (like Suave Professionals Volumizing Mousse, $3.49, drugstore.com)
- Wash your hair, then apply mousse from roots to ends. When it’s 90% dry, move on to the next step.
- Place two makeup sponges together creating a square. Roll these sponge squares in the middle of one washcloth. Repeat the process, making about twenty rolls.
- Taking a large section of hair, wrap it around the square-shaped washcloth starting at the roots and then wrapping until the whole strand is wound around the cloth. Tie the ends of the cloth to hold it in place (or use bobby pins).
- Do this for all of your hair. Then, go to bed. Unlike hard rollers, the soft cloths are easy to sleep on!
- In the morning, remove the cloths and shake out your curls! They’ll stay put for up to three days.